Author Topic: Recast resin dolls  (Read 1282 times)

Offline PRGerry

• Administrator
  • My Dollies Took Over ----- My name is Gerry
Recast resin dolls
« on: October 13, 2012, 05:46:20 AM »
What a topic this one is  :shrug:

Believe it or not I just really learned about recast, I must of been living under a shell! I started to check it out, after all I did adopt some bjd's but always felt good about knowing the sellers from the forums so I never felt there would be a problem. I have read all the 'pro's' and 'con's', I can understand how one would buy a recast when they fell head over heels in love with something the company just won't make any more even though it's just simply wrong.

I think if the companies kept up with demand recasting wouldn't be such a problem. As far as I know all my adopted dolls are genuine.

Anyone get stuck with a recast?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/prgerry/
DOLLS ON A MISSION
PUT ON YOUR PINK BRA
GET YOUR BOOBIES CHECKED!

Offline Sweetiemom

• Administrator
  • Marketplace access
  • resin addict ♥
    • My dolls pictures
Re: Recast resin dolls
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 10:28:16 AM »
So far, all my kids are genuine.  I know I missed out on a few "oldies" that I wanted, but I would rather have the real thing than a recast.

Offline Valli

• Nyxyz Guardian
  • Administrator
  • Official chatterbox and then some LOL
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 10:23:16 PM »
I don't know as I'd know a recast if I had one. It's a minefield.

Offline PRGerry

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 10:29:46 PM »
Valli when I first read about this it was in flickr, someone posted a pic of her tan lati saying 'she wasn't a recast', she was dyed at home! I had to asked myself, what the heck is this all about so I went on to check it out. Boo, to anyone to sells one on the marketplaces as original knowing it's a fake! Some even come with paperwork and headplates....yikes!
DOLLS ON A MISSION
PUT ON YOUR PINK BRA

Offline Valli

• Nyxyz Guardian
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 10:33:26 PM »
Scaweeee.....

Offline ladywindsor

• Countess of Clutter and Chaos
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 12:38:14 AM »
As far as I know, all mine are originals but I would not know if it were a recast or not so how do you tell you have a counterfeit or contraband BJD doll?

Offline ambshp

• Avatar is RealPuki Tyni named Nimbus
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 02:34:26 AM »
Now that Gerry says that recast can come with paperwork, I am afraid to buy more secondhand dolls. I wouldn't know a recast if I saw one either. I was counting on the certificate of authenticity to know it was real.

Offline Sweetiemom

• Administrator
  • Marketplace access
  • resin addict ♥
    • My dolls pictures
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 02:47:47 AM »
There was actually a website that was blatantly selling recasts a couple years ago-they had several Volks, Soom, Luts, and Fairyland dolls.  I don't know why anyone would want a recast!

http://www.bjdbaby.com/index.php?main_page=privacy
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 02:50:11 AM by Sweetiemom »

Offline ladywindsor

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 04:29:40 AM »
WOW -- that is so scary! -- I guess people who really want a doll would buy one just so they don't have to pay the full price.  I don't understand how they can do this though, it is like stealing from another company their work/molds.
What about copyrights?  However, if the originals are produced in one country and the fakes in another, maybe the law does not cover one country to the next?

You still are paying lots of money (no refunds) for a fake so I wonder about the quality.  At least a reputable company will do their best to accommodate customers who have an issue.

I know there are factory Blythes and also a few Blythe models have fakes (Mango being one of the most copied.).  The fakes even have all the ID/copyright markings!  No refunds. I guess they must be recasts of some sort only in plastic?
Most buyers find out they are fakes after they get them and see the imperfections.  One seller on eBay was reported for selling fakes and got the boot.

Offline PRGerry

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 03:12:31 PM »
It's a shame for sure to get stuck with a copy but I guess this is the only way some people can affort their dolls!
DOLLS ON A MISSION
PUT ON YOUR PINK BRA

Offline Sweetiemom

• Administrator
  • Marketplace access
  • resin addict ♥
    • My dolls pictures
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 09:17:14 PM »
I just wonder how they can get away with it-you'd think they would be sued for copyright infringement.  Maybe it is not the same in other countries?

Offline Valli

• Nyxyz Guardian
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 05:57:14 PM »
This is a very difficult thing. I guess if you have one and don't know, you can't worry about it. Often the most common way to tell is they are produced in a colour the company NEVER produced. Otherwise, I'm not sure. If the colour isn't true all the way through the resin, especially in the joints, air bubbles that aren't mentioned and very noticeable, though I have had an original with similar faults twice, so that's not the absolute sign.

I wouldn't buy one knowingly.

Offline PRGerry

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 12:46:48 AM »
No sweetiemom, it's not the same else where. I read how the government in China encourages that country to copy everything!  There was talk on CNN about a law in New York, people with counterfeit pocketbooks will be fined!
DOLLS ON A MISSION
PUT ON YOUR PINK BRA

Offline ladywindsor

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 12:43:07 AM »
We are such trendsetters with this discussion.

I noticed a gal selling her recast at Flickr and then over at DoA but I don't know if it actually sold or not.  She was asking $120. approx. for a Pukifee recast.

Over at DoA they recently had a feature article on this and had responses from several of the companies about this issue.  As we can all see, it is a very serious and troublesome issue for all in the doll world.

I don't think any of us would ever want to be stuck with one, known or unknown to us.  They would be hard to actually unload and if you didn't know, and the buyer did, there goes your reputation or if the buyer or the seller are naive, they got cheated in a way with fake aesthetics.

Offline Valli

• Nyxyz Guardian
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 05:15:35 PM »
Some appear very open about owning a recast. I'd be horrified to discover I owned one. I don't think I do, but I've certainly avoided buying anything from someone that openly sold a recast. If they thought this was ok, then what else would they sell? Very scary stuff.